Every day families ask me what their child is suppose to drink if juices (apple juice, Capri Sun, etc) and flavored milk are not good options, especially if their children won’t drink water…. Here are 5 healthy alternatives:
– Water is nature’s perfect beverage. If children find it too plain, try flavoring it naturally with fruits like strawberries, oranges, and even cucumber! Check out “Definebottle”, a fruit infused water bottle! what an awesome invention by a 15 year old! http://m.entrepreneur.com/article/232385
Photo from www.definebottle.com
– Chamomile or other non-caffeinated tea iced in the refrigerator can make for a refreshing non-sweetened beverage.
– Try adding lemon juice to a glass of water for a natural flavor and for natural sweetness tiny bit of honey.
– Coconut water is refreshing, hydrating, and very nutritious.
– Vegetable juices generally contain much less sugar than fruit juice (read the food label to be sure, this may not be true if the juice contains both fruits and vegetables).
Dr. Julie Wei is a pediatric ear, nose, and throat specialist and the author of A Healthier Wei. As a mother herself, Dr. Wei is a passionate advocate for improving children's health through better diet and dietary habits. She has been committed to helping parents learn how to eliminate their child's ear, nose, and throat problems simply by reducing excessive sugar and dairy intake, as well as minimizing habitual late night snacking. She hopes to raise awareness for the need for accountability by both medical professionals and parents to ensure that children are not prescribed or take unnecessary medications long term.
When she is not in the clinic, operating room, or conducting research, you will find her in the kitchen preparing food with love along with her daughter Claire. If you sit next to her on the plane, she will likely share with you information about how to minimize choking hazards in young children, and many other tips for improving your child's health.